A reliable handyman can be an asset to any homeowner, but not all homeowners know the types of home repair services a handyman offers. For that reason, handymen will want to create a comprehensive list of the services they offer so customers can know at a glance who to hire for their home maintenance and repair projects. “Handyman companies are a great resource of knowledge,” explains Reggie Grotewiel, owner of Big Wheel Handyman in Denver, Colorado. “A good handyman understands how all of the house systems work together and can offer one-stop shopping for a variety of repairs.”
Having a handyman services list easily available for customers to peruse is essential for any independent handyman or business owner. Local handyman services can typically perform the following tasks:
- Plumbing services: Fixing leaky faucets, repairing or replacing toilets, unclogging drains, and other services that don’t require a plumbing license.
- Electrical services: Installing light fixtures, installing ceiling fans, installing dimmer switches, and other services that don’t require an electrical license.
- Small repairs and installations: Repairing drywall, painting, installing shelves, installing minor appliances, and more.
- Home maintenance: Changing HVAC filters, pressure-washing patios, mowing grass, cleaning windows and gutters and more.
- Moving services: Furniture assembly and disassembly, uninstalling and reinstalling appliances, packing and unpacking boxes, and more.
In addition to the types of work they do, handymen will want to communicate their hourly rate for handyman jobs to their customers. Independent handymen typically charge between $60 and $70 per hour, and companies who employ handymen often charge customers $125 per hour; the exact cost a handyman charges will depend on factors like their location and their experience. The best handyman services may charge a higher handyman cost than a new business, and those with specializations will also likely have higher rates. An electrical handyman can handle installing light fixtures or rewiring outlets, while a handyman roofing service can help with repairs and roof maintenance.
“One of the great things about a handyman business is the variety of work,” says Grotewiel. “The most popular requests are drywall repair, light electrical repair (changing of outlets, switches, and lights), and light plumbing repairs (changing faucets, [fixing] leaking plumbing, and exterior faucet replacement).”
Handymen can compile a list of their services and costs to give to customers and post on their website for prospective customers to review. The following are some of the top services that a handyman might include on their services list.
1. Minor Plumbing Services
A handyman may be comfortable offering basic plumbing services to their customers, such as leaky faucets, clogged pipes, and running toilets. Since dripping faucets can lead to wasted water and increased utility bills, the homeowner will want to fix the problem as soon as possible. A skilled handyman can replace worn-out washers, repair or replace faucets, and get the plumbing working properly again. However, only a licensed handyman plumber can include more complex plumbing services on their list.
Clogged drains are another issue that many homeowners face. Whether it’s a kitchen sink, bathroom drain, or shower, a handyman can use drain snakes and plungers to eliminate blockages and ensure the drain empties smoothly. Repairing or replacing toilets is also part of a handyman’s repertoire, and they can fix the noisy problem of a constantly running toilet. Handymen will want to list these tasks in their services list.
The cost for these minor handyman plumbing services can vary based on the severity of the issue, the time required for repairs, and the handyman hourly rate. On average, it can cost from $60 to $150 to replace a bathroom faucet; handymen will want to clearly state their charges for such tasks on their services list.
2. Minor Electrical Services
A handyman can offer minor electrical services to their clients. Handymen can usually tackle simple electrical issues that don’t require the expertise of a licensed electrician. A handyman can come to the rescue for these minor home maintenance services.
- Installing light fixtures. Handymen can help install various types of light fixtures, including chandeliers, pendant lights, or wall sconces. The price for installing light fixtures can vary depending on the complexity of the project, the weight of the fixture, and accessibility. For homeowners who prefer to avoid tackling projects that involve electricity, hiring a handyman can be an easy solution.
- Ceiling fan installation. Installing a ceiling fan can be a challenging task for a homeowner, but handymen can mount the fan, securely wire it, and ensure it operates correctly.
- Installing dimmer switches. Dimmer switches allow users to control the brightness of the lights in a room. Handymen can help replace regular switches with dimmer switches, typically charging per switch instead of a flat rate.
Homeowners looking to hire a handyman for electrical home improvement services will want to know that they’re choosing someone with a proven track record and positive customer reviews, and someone who has taken the time to discover what types of business licenses they need to operate legally in their area. A handyman will want to include this information on their services list. However, while handymen are skilled at performing minor electrical work, they may not be qualified to tackle complex electrical problems that require a licensed electrician’s expertise. Handymen who do have this experience and licensing will want to make sure they include that on their services list as well.
3. Drywall Installation and Repair
A professional handyman may want to offer drywall installation or repairs, which can save homeowners time and stress. Homeowners will often search online for “hire a handyman near me” to find reliable help for household tasks such as drywall installation and repair. A handyman will want to ensure that their list includes the types of drywall projects they can do, such as the following.
- Drywall installation. Drywall installation is part of many remodeling projects. A handyman can measure, cut, and secure the drywall panels to create smooth, seamless walls. They will tape and mud the seams, then sand the surface for a polished look. The price of the project will vary depending on the project size and the type of drywall used.
- Drywall repair. It’s common for many homeowners to need drywall repair, from small holes to significant damage. Whether it’s from accidental damage, moisture problems, or normal wear and tear, a handyman can fix drywall problems. They will carefully cut out the damaged section, replace it with a new piece of drywall, and conceal the area with taping, mudding, and sanding. Repairing small holes and cracks will cost less than repairing water-damaged or severely damaged walls. Many drywall repairs can cost from $60 to $90 per hour.
- Popcorn ceiling removal. Many homeowners with textured popcorn ceilings who want to modernize their space will hire a handyman to help. Popcorn ceiling removal involves scraping off the texture, repairing any damage, and creating a smooth ceiling surface. The cost for popcorn ceiling removal varies due to ceiling height, accessibility, and the amount of prep work required.
- Texture matching. It’s common for walls or ceilings to have mismatched textures after drywall repair. A handyman can use various techniques, tools, and products to match the texture for a consistent look. The cost of texture matching depends on the complexity of the texture and the size of the area being repaired.
4. Fixture Replacement
A handyman will likely want to include fixture replacement on their list of available services. Updating the fixtures in a home can modernize the look and improve the functionality of the space. A handyman can help, whether a homeowner is looking to replace outdated light fixtures, upgrade their plumbing fixtures, or update cabinet hardware.
- Light fixtures. One of the most common fixture replacement services provided by handymen is replacing light fixtures. They can help select the right lights and install them properly.
- Plumbing fixtures. If a homeowner is looking to upgrade their bathroom or kitchen, replacing plumbing fixtures such as faucets, shower heads, or toilets can make a significant difference. A handyman can install modern fixtures that match the home’s decor and ensure that they’re installed correctly. They can also fix minor leaks or plumbing issues that may arise during the replacement process.
- Cabinet hardware. Replacing cabinet hardware is a quick and easy way to give a kitchen or bathroom a fresh, new look. Handymen can replace cabinet knobs, handles, and hinges to update the style and improve the functionality of the space.
- Door and window fixtures. If door or window fixtures are worn out or damaged, a handyman can help replace them. From door knobs and locks to window handles and hinges, they can ensure that the doors and windows are working properly and securely. They can also install weatherstripping or door sweeps to improve energy efficiency.
5. Interior and Exterior House Painting
House painting is another service that a handyman will want to consider offering. The process of both interior and exterior painting can be time-consuming, especially if the homeowner lacks the necessary tools. Handymen are skilled professionals who offer a range of home improvement services, including interior and exterior house painting. Hiring a handyman can be a cost-effective and efficient solution, saving homeowners the headache of tackling a painting project. Therefore, handymen will want to advertise that they do exterior and interior painting.
Interior painting can transform the look and feel of a home. A handyman will start by preparing the area, including protecting furniture and floors, taping around windows and doors, filling any holes or cracks, and sanding rough spots. Backed with their previous experience, they can achieve a smooth and even finish, ending with a professionally painted space. The cost to paint a 12-foot by 12-foot room ranges from $400 to $1,000, including prep work. Decorative finishes, dark paint colors, or textured walls will increase the overall cost of painting a room by another $2 to $4 per square foot. Handymen will want to include their prices on their services list.
Hiring a handyman to paint the exterior of a home can enhance the curb appeal of the property. From prepping and priming to painting and finishing, handymen can handle all aspects of painting a home’s exterior.
6. Deck Repairs
A handyman may want to offer a range of deck repair services to help keep the outdoor space safe and inviting for their customers.
- Loose or damaged boards. Over time, deck boards can come loose or get damaged due to regular wear and tear and exposure to the elements. A handyman can inspect the deck for loose boards, screws, or nails and secure or replace damaged boards as needed.
- Stairs and handrails. If stair treads are worn out or handrails are loose, a handyman can repair or replace these parts to make the area safe.
- Cleaning and maintenance. Regular maintenance plays an important role in extending the life of a deck. A handyman can power wash the surface to remove dirt, mold, mildew, and debris to avoid discoloration and damage. They can also apply a protective sealant to protect the wood from UV damage and moisture.
7. Flooring Installation and Repair
Flooring installation and repair is another common service that a handyman may want to offer. Some handymen are equipped to install various types of flooring materials, including tile, carpet, vinyl, laminate, and in some cases, hardwood. Experienced professionals have the right handyman tools to prepare the subfloor, measure the area, and cut the materials. They can also repair squeaky floorboards and broken tiles, and eliminate scratches. If a handyman offers flooring installation and repair, they’ll want to make sure these services are clearly stated on their handyman services list.
8. Door Installation and Repair
A handyman may want to include installation or repair of interior or exterior doors on their handyman services list. Over time, doors can show signs of wear and tear and they will need to be repaired or replaced. The overall cost of door installation or repair depends on the complexity of the installation or repair, the type of door, and local labor rates. Some common door services a handyman offers can include interior and exterior door installation, door frame repair, door hardware installation, sliding door repair, screen door installation and repair, and storm door installation and repair.
9. Furniture Assembly
Assembling flat-pack furniture can be a pain, which is why handymen may want to include this service in their offerings. Hiring one of the best furniture assembly services is an excellent option for customers who prefer to skip the frustration of assembling furniture themselves. Handyman services often include putting together flat-pack furniture from popular retailers. This includes items such as bookshelves, dressers, tables, bed frames, closet storage units, chairs, desks, office furniture, outdoor furniture, and other items that come in unassembled pieces. The cost of furniture assembly services can vary based on the complexity of the furniture, the number of pieces, and the handyman’s hourly rate.
10. Art, Photos, or Decor Installation and Hanging
A handyman can also offer art, photos, or decor installation and handling for their customers. Handymen are adept at hanging art on the walls to transform a space and give it a personal touch. Homeowners without the tools and time to hang photographs and install decor will often search for a handyman to help.
- Picture hanging. One of the most popular services provided by handymen is picture hanging. A skilled handyman can ensure that pictures are securely and symmetrically hung by measuring and positioning the hooks or nails accurately. With their knowledge of various hanging techniques, handymen can securely install various types of framed prints and canvases. The cost to hang one piece of art ranges from $60 to $125.
- Mirror mounting. Hanging mirrors can be a challenging task due to their weight, size, and delicate nature of the glass. Handymen can make sure mirrors are securely attached and leveled.
- Shelving and display units. Decorative shelving units, display cabinets, and floating shelves are all excellent ways to show off unique decor items. For those who aren’t confident about installing them, a handyman can help. From assembling the pieces to attaching them to the walls, handymen can make sure the decor items are beautifully showcased.
A handyman may want to provide a range of babyproofing services to create a safer environment for infants and toddlers.
It’s important to install safety gates at the top and bottom of staircases, as well as in doorways, to prevent falls. A handyman can install safety gates to restrict access to certain areas of the home. A handyman can also install locks on cabinets and drawers to prevent curious little hands from accessing potentially harmful items. These locks are typically designed to be child-resistant but easy for adults to operate.
To protect children from electrical hazards, a handyman can install outlet covers or caps. These covers prevent children from inserting small objects into the outlets, reducing the risk of electric shock. A handyman can also anchor furniture to the wall to prevent accidental tipping and ensure the safety of a child. Finally, handymen can protect kids from sharp corners and edges on furniture that can cause injuries by installing corner and edge protectors, typically made of soft and cushioned materials, to minimize the risk of bumps and bruises.
12. Pressure Washing
A handyman may offer pressure-washing services to help homeowners maintain their property. The following are just a few of the pressure-washing services handymen may want to consider including in their list of available services.
- Exterior house washing. Over time, the exterior of a home can accumulate dirt, dust, mold, and mildew. A handyman can use a pressure washer to thoroughly clean the exterior, restoring the home’s curb appeal.
- Deck and patio cleaning. A handyman can use pressure washing to clean and revitalize outdoor spaces, preparing them for staining or sealing, or simply making them look better.
- Driveway and sidewalk cleaning. Concrete driveways and sidewalks can develop stains from oil and grease. Pressure washing can remove these stains, leaving the surfaces looking clean and well maintained.
- Fence cleaning. Wooden, vinyl, or metal fences can become dirty and discolored over time. A handyman can use a pressure washer to clean and refresh fences, improving their appearance and lifespan.
- Gutter cleaning. Pressure washing is an effective method for removing debris, leaves, and dirt from gutters and downspouts. This can help prevent clogs and ensure smooth water drainage.
- Outdoor furniture cleaning. Patio furniture can benefit from pressure washing to remove dirt and grime. This service is popular when homeowners are preparing furniture for the changing seasons.
13. Appliance Installation and Repair
Appliance installation and repair is another common service offered by handyman contractors. When it comes to appliances, a handyman is skilled in offering a wide range of services to help homeowners install or repair them. Handymen can install washers and dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators, ovens and cooktops, microwaves, and garbage disposals. In addition to installations, handymen may also offer basic appliance repair services, but they may not have the expertise of technicians who specialize in specific appliances. For serious problems or under-warranty repairs, handymen will likely advise homeowners to consult with the manufacturer or a specialized appliance repair service.
14. Smart-Home Upgrades
A handyman can help homeowners upgrade their home to a smart home. By relying on a handyman for smart-home upgrades, homeowners can enjoy the benefits of a more connected and efficient home.
- Smart thermostat installation. Upgrading to a smart thermostat allows homeowners to control their heating and cooling systems remotely. A handyman can install and configure smart thermostats, enabling features such as temperature scheduling and energy usage monitoring.
- Smart lighting installation. Installing smart lighting systems allows homeowners to control lights remotely, set schedules, and adjust brightness levels. A handyman can upgrade existing light fixtures or install new smart bulbs and switches.
- Smart doorbell installation. A handyman can install smart doorbells equipped with video monitoring, motion detection, and two-way communication. This enhances home security by providing real-time updates.
- Smart lock installation. Smart locks can be controlled remotely via a smartphone app. A handyman can install smart locks, allowing for keyless entry and monitoring access.
- Smart-home hub setup. If a homeowner has multiple smart devices from different brands, a handyman can set up a central smart-home hub for streamlined control.
Handymen who are skilled at tiling will want to include this service on their list. From kitchen backsplashes to bathroom floors, tiles serve as both functional and decorative elements in a home. A handyman can install tiles on various surfaces, including floors, walls, and backsplashes. They can also repair or replace grout that has become discolored or damaged over time, and repair and replace individual tiles. Certain types of tiles may require sealing to protect against stains and moisture, and a handyman can apply sealant to protect the tiles and lengthen the lifespan of the material.
16. HVAC Services
Basic HVAC services are a common item on a handyman services list. While a handyman can handle certain aspects of HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) systems, HVAC work often requires the expertise of a licensed HVAC technician. There are some tasks that a handyman can take on successfully, such as replacing filters, installing and programming thermostats, inspecting ductwork, installing or replacing ventilation fans in bathrooms or kitchens, cleaning condensate lines, inspecting insulation, and installing weatherstripping. Handymen who are licensed in the field of HVAC can perform more complex repairs or replace systems that no longer work.
17. Window Covering Installation
Handymen will want to consider including curtain and blind installation on their handyman services list. From curtains and blinds to shades and shutters, a handyman can offer a wide range of window-covering installation services to cater to a homeowner’s needs. A handyman can install various types of blinds, including horizontal and vertical blinds. This includes measuring, mounting the brackets, and making sure the blinds are straight and level for smooth operation.
Installing curtain rods is a common handyman service. They can make sure the rods are attached securely, are level, and that the curtains are hung properly.
They can also install roller shades, Roman shades, or other types of shades, by mounting the brackets and installing the shades securely. Installing window shutters can improve the overall look of a home and protect the windows from damage, and a handyman can complete this project as well.
Installing window film for privacy or UV protection is a service that a handyman can provide. This includes measuring and applying the film to the windows. For homeowners interested in automated window coverings, a handyman with experience in smart-home technology can install motorized blinds and integrate them into a smart-home system.
18. Fence Maintenance and Repair
A handyman may want to include fence maintenance and repair services to help homeowners prolong the life of their fences. Some fence services that handymen may want to offer include cleaning and power washing, staining, sealing, painting, replacing damaged or missing boards, fixing leaning or sagging fences, repairing or replacing hardware, patching holes or gaps, installing anti-climb measures, inspecting for termites and pests, and repairing gates. The cost of fence maintenance and repair services can vary based on the extent of the repairs needed, the type of fence, and local labor rates.
Handymen may want to offer carpentry services to their customers. The following are a few examples of some of the carpentry tasks handymen can offer to their customers.
- Custom shelving and storage. A handyman can design and install custom shelving units and storage solutions that meet a homeowner’s needs and space requirements.
- Trim and molding installation. Adding crown molding, baseboards, chair rails, and other decorative trim are all tasks a handyman can complete.
- Door installation and repair. Installing or repairing interior and exterior doors is a common handyman service. This includes fitting doors, installing hinges, and ensuring the doors are level and aligned.
- Window frame repairs. Repairing or replacing damaged window frames is a service that a handyman can provide, helping to improve energy efficiency and curb appeal.
- Deck repair and construction. A handyman can repair and build decks, and make sure the structure is sound and secure.
- Staircase repair and baluster installation. Another service a handyman can provide is repairing or replacing stair treads and risers as well as installing balusters or handrails.
20. Gutter and Window Cleaning
Gutter cleaning is a relatively simple task for handymen to include in their service list. Keeping gutters clean is important and needs to be performed regularly to prevent potential damage to a home. Over time, gutters accumulate debris such as leaves, twigs, and dirt, which can block the flow of water and lead to clogs. A handyman can thoroughly clean the gutters, remove all debris, and make sure the water flows smoothly. In addition to cleaning, a handyman can also inspect the gutters for any signs of damage. The cost to clean gutters can range from $100 to $150.
Handyman may also want to consider offering window cleaning to save customers time and effort, especially if a home has numerous windows or they’re hard to reach. Handymen can clean the interior and exterior of the windows and also check the window frames and screens for damage.
21. Moving Services
Finally, a handyman can offer moving services. A handyman can tackle moving-related services like furniture disassembly and assembly, appliance disconnect and reconnect, mounting and dismounting electronics, packing assistance, and minor repairs that are needed before and after the move. However, handymen will want to leave the task of moving specialized items, such as pianos and grandfather clocks, to a dedicated moving company who have the proper equipment to handle these delicate objects.
This comprehensive handyman services list serves as a valuable guide for handymen who aren’t sure what services to offer their customers. Handymen will also want to let customers know that they have coverage from one of the best handyman insurance companies, such as NEXT Insurance or Thimble. The average cost of handyman insurance is generally affordable at an average of $65 per month for general liability coverage. By ensuring their customers have copies of this list, handymen can be sure local homeowners will know who to call for home repairs, and they can confidently hire a handyman who is competent, reliable, and trustworthy to tackle projects around the house.